Entries by Chris Donley

How Does Dry Mouth Affect You?

From time to time, people may experience dry #mouth. The medical term for dry mouth is Xerostomia, and while an occasional bout of dry mouth isn’t something to get worried about, you’d be surprised at how much of an effect this seemingly incidental condition can have when it persists long enough.

Dry Mouth Isn’t Natural

Our bodies go through a lot of changes as we grow older. As time passes, our bodies stop recovering the way they used to, our hair turns gray and may start to thin out, wrinkles and spots appear and don’t go away, and we become more vulnerable to diseases and illnesses of all sorts.

What Good Is A Good Mouthwash?

Compared to dental essentials like brushing and flossing, mouthwashes can often seem like more than what you absolutely need. Brushing clears away plaque and food debris from the surface of your teeth and flossing does the same for between them, and depending on your toothpaste brushing may also whiten your teeth and strengthen them with […]

What In The World Is A Mouth Ulcer?

You’re probably familiar with the word “ulcer” in the context of stomach ulcers. Whether you’ve had one yourself or not, you likely know that it involves part of the stomach or intestinal wall failing and creating a sort of bubble within the lining which is painful while it persists and potentially catastrophic if it bursts. […]

Treat Oral Mucositis And Dry Mouth Without A Prescription

During cancer treatments, such as chemotherapy and radiation to the head or neck area, two bothersome and sometimes serious complications include dry #mouth and oral mucositis. Dry mouth occurs because chemotherapy and radiation treatments can be irritating to the saliva glands. Oral mucositis occurs in chemotherapy because the medicine used to treat the cancer cells […]

The Benefits Of Good Oral Hygiene

Often, one of the first things that people notice about those who practice good oral hygiene is the brightness and whiteness of their smile. However, a beautiful, healthy smile is not the only benefit of practicing good oral hygiene. In addition to the boost in self-esteem and self-confidence that a healthy attractive smile can bring, […]

What Is Oral Mucositis?

Oral mucositis is a common side effect of chemotherapy, as well as radiation to the head and neck area. In some cases, oral mucositis can be debilitating. The condition can lead to a variety of issues, including pain and increased risk of infection due to open sores in the mucosa. In some cases pain can […]

Chemotherapy And Dry Mouth

Radiation therapy to the head and neck area may cause dry #mouth or thick saliva. Certain types of chemotherapy can also cause these issues. During chemotherapy or radiation to the head and neck area, saliva glands can become irritated. When this occurs, they make less saliva or produce saliva that is thick and sticky.

Saliva 101

Saliva is something that we all produce, and yet it’s something that most of us probably take for granted. The average healthy person produces approximately one quart of saliva each day. Saliva is produced by the salivary glands. There are hundreds of these glands in your #mouth. Saliva is 99% water. The remaining 1% of […]

Combatting Dry Mouth

Saliva not only keeps our mouths moist, it also helps to keep our mouths clean and assists in the digestion of food. Because it controls #mouth dwelling bacteria and fungi, saliva also helps to prevent infection. Unfortunately, some people’s mouths fail to produce enough saliva. When this happens, your mouth can become dry and uncomfortable. […]