Often, one of the first things that people notice about those who practice good oral hygiene is the brightness and whiteness of their smile. However, a beautiful, healthy smile is not the only benefit of practicing good oral hygiene. In addition to the boost in self-esteem and self-confidence that a healthy attractive smile can bring, there are also numerous other health benefits. These include:
• A lowered risk of heart disease and stroke
• A reduced risk of infection and inflammation in the body
• An improved memory
There is a recognized relationship between a healthy #mouth and a healthy body. Doctors and dentists alike advise that good oral health can help to improve a person’s overall health. Practicing good oral hygiene can also reduce the risk of serious diseases. Chronic inflammation from gum disease has been clearly linked to cardiovascular problems, including heart disease, blocked blood vessels, and stroke. Poor oral health has also been linked to infection in other parts of the body, and gum disease has been associated with conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis. Gingivitis has also been linked to poor performance on memory tests and other cognitive abilities.
However, by regularly practicing good oral hygiene you will go a long way toward maintaining a healthy body as well as a healthy mouth. Here are some helpful tips for developing a healthy, effective oral hygiene regime.
1. Brush your teeth at least twice a day. Be sure to do a thorough job, and use a fluoride toothpaste and a soft-bristled toothbrush. Hold the toothbrush at an angle and brush using short back and forth strokes. Don’t forget to brush your tongue as well as your teeth.
2. Floss regularly. Brushing alone is not enough to maintain a healthy mouth. Your toothbrush can’t reach the spaces between your teeth, after all. You should floss gently at least once per day, taking it one tooth at a time.
3. Use a high-quality oral rinse. In addition to brushing and flossing, you should also add a mouth rinse to your daily oral hygiene regimen. Prevention Everyday Mouth Rinse is a great daily option to keep your mouth fresh and clean.